Supplementary to the public worship of God each Lord's Day our church has three discipleship groups that each meet once a month in various homes.
THE SONS OF THE RESURRECTION
"But those who are counted worthy to attain that age, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry nor are given in marriage; nor can they die anymore, for they are equal to the angels and are sons of God, being sons of the resurrection." (Luke 20:35-36)
One vital part of establishing strong gospel churches is the raising up of spiritually mature men who faithfully shepherd the souls of their own families with wisdom and discernment. The Sons of the Resurrection is a men's discipleship group that meets each month for mutual encouragement, accountability and Bible study. This group is open to all men ages 12 and up.
Each time we gather, we begin by asking one another three important questions:
1. Are you staying in the Word each and every day?
2. How is your daily prayer life going?
3. Are you being careful about what you set before your eyes and are you striving to keep your thought life pure?
Our men have frequently testified to the helpfulness and encouragement they receive from this accountability.
In our second hour we open the Holy Scriptures and discuss various issues of importance to men. We have covered such topics as "shepherding your home", "the doctrines of grace", and "the second coming of Jesus Christ". It is always a sweet time of fellowship as we seek to sharpen one another as "iron sharpens iron" and to provoke one another to good deeds.
THE DAUGHTERS OF SARAH
"For in this manner, in former times, the holy women who trusted in God also adorned themselves, being submissive to their own husbands, as Sarah obeyed Abraham, calling him lord, whose daughters you are if you do good and are not afraid with any terror." (1 Peter 3:5-6)
This is a discipleship group for the ladies of our church, ages 12 and up, which meets in one of our homes on the fourth Thursday night of each month. It is led by one of our ladies who is in agreement with the doctrine and vision of our local church. This group has proven to be a great blessing to many of our ladies.
THE FAITHFUL MEN
"...the things that you have heard from me among many witnesses, commit these things to faithful men who will be able to teach others also." (2 Timothy 2:2)
An important but frequently neglected responsibility of the local church is the training of faithful men who have expressed and demonstrated their aspirations to serve in the gospel ministry. Jesus labored fervently to equip His twelve Apostles and the group known as the seventy to labor in ministry. The Apostles in turn imitated their Lord and Savior by training men like John Mark, Timothy, and Titus in like manner. In the verse quoted above the Apostle Paul instructs young Pastor Timothy to do the same. Timothy (the second generation) had received the sacred deposit of the gospel from Paul (the first generation), and Timothy was now to commit that same deposit to faithful men (the third generation) who could teach others also (the fourth generation). In this way the church is strengthened and the kingdom of God is advanced.
In accordance with this Biblical mandate, our church began a men’s discipleship group called “Faithful Men” in July of 2008. While the Sons of the Resurrection discipleship group is open to all men 12 years of age and up, participation in the Faithful Men is limited only to those who have expressed and demonstrated their aspirations to enter the gospel ministry to the satisfaction of the elders of our church. Accordingly, we have established the following seven criteria as pre-requisites for participation in this group:
1. He must be a man who is a member of our local church.
2. He must have verbally expressed his aspirations to ministry to the elders of our church.
3. He must have faithfully demonstrated the reality of his aspirations to the ministry, specifically by:
a. Consistent and whole hearted faithfulness to both the Lord’s Day morning and evening worship services.
b. Consistent participation in some or all of the evangelistic outreach ministries of our church.
4. He must hold full or at least very substantial agreement with the Baptist Confession of Faith of 1689.
5. He must be willing to commit himself to faithfully attending our monthly meeting and to completing the assigned homework each month (usually a substantial amount of reading).
6. He must realize that participation in this discipleship group does not constitute a promise that he will be nominated or installed as an officer of Berean Baptist Church.
7. He must have been approved to be a member of this group by the elders of Berean Church in accordance with the standards set forth above.
It is our desire and prayer that the Holy Spirit will use this ministry to equip many men with the necessary desire, graces, and gifts to serve as shepherds of God’s flock, and to impart a Biblical vision of what a calling to the pastoral ministry entails.
Berean Baptist Church
Bellamy Funeral Home
3551 Jimmy Lee Smith Pkwy.
Hiram, GA 30141
2888 Old Lost Mtn. Rd.
Powder Springs, GA 30127